Here at 1+1 Preschool we as a centre are dedicated to providing a safe, supportive, consistent, challenging and holistic environment for young children, Whanau and their families. Each child’s day has rhythm, as well as structure and a predictable flow. To ensure this balance, we provide a warm, nurturing setting that encourages children to learn through hands-on interactive exploration. A play-based approached provides a child-centred, teacher guided curriculum, in which children are encouraged to construct their own knowledge. We are committed to creating a nurturing learning environment in partnership with parents to develop a sense of belonging and high self-esteem in each child. Our staff receive comprehensive on-going professional development to stay current with the unique needs of young children and their families.
We believe this philosophy represents a strong foundation on which to begin lifelong learning and to launch a positive sense of self, others and the world.
Our programs strive to:
- Nuture positive self-esteem by providing an environment for successful experiences.
- Provide and inclusive environment meeting the unique special needs of all children.
- Provide opportunities to develop social skills.
- Encourage emotional development through verbal expressions of thoughts and feelings, promote acceptable ways of expressing feelings and help children learn to recognize and accept emotions in others.
- Foster responsibility for oneself in self-help, health, safety and interpersonal relationships and facilitate independence.
- Encourage development of large motor skills through outdoor and indoor activities and fine motor development through the use of manipulative toys, blocks, puzzles and other small tools and writing utensils.
- Enhance creativity by offering may kinds of materials and experiences in music, art, drama and literature.
- Develop language, literacy skills and multilingual skill and appreciation through stories music, songs, dramatic play, problem solving, group discussion and rich environment.
- Facilitate cognitive development by broadening the child’s experiences to increase their knowledge, concepts and skills.
- Promote cross-cultural understanding and respect by providing children with experiences in diversity through a multicultural, anti-bias curriculum.
- Stimulate divergent thinking by offering ample opportunites for hands-on problem solving and exchange of ideas S